Next Steps from Traffic

Brown School Safe Passage:

-          Troy had requested the traffic counts needed as part of the investigation in to a stop sign or cross walk at Poplar Plains Rd & Poplar Plains Cres – The city representative Dan Clement, requested two weeks to investigate and determine what is required to progress this issue. ACTION: Dan please respond to Kendra with the details and timeline.

-          No one from Police enforcement was present to discuss the speeding, illegal stopping and other concerns on Poplar Plains Rd – ACTION: Matt Moyer / Bert Dean – please send an update directly to Kendra on recent enforcement activities.

-          We have confirmed that no crossing guard can be added until a cross walk or stop sign is in place an a student count can be conducted – No ACTION for now

 

Speeding:

-          Speed Humps on the first block of Poplar Plains Cres (nearest to Avenue) have now been formally requested with a petition submitted.  Unfortunately, the city was unable to report on progress.  ACTION: Dan connect with Troy & Blake to determine if there necessary criteria is in place to move this ahead.  Please revert with next steps and timeline.

-          The neighbourhood consensus for Cottingham street is not yet clear.  The block in question for speed humps is the first block west of Avenue Rd.  Before Josh’s office or the City take any action, we must determine there is majority agreement.  ACTION: Nichole to work with Kendra to canvas the neighbours directly impacted and revert with level of support.

-          Laneway bumps were also discussed – the process here is less formal, a we can press ahead assuming agreement – specifically looking at the north south lanes.  ACTION: Blake & Dan to confirm what is required from us.  Maggie will act as coordinator of any neighbours on Avenue Rd.

-          We talked through some changes expected for Radar enforcement on Avenue Rd and possibly at some stage for photoradar on our neighbourhood streets.  Not yet clear how the new legislation will come to life.  ACTION: Blake & Josh to keep RARA informed of our options – we will revisit this at our next update meeting.

-          Josh walked us through coordinated plans to improve pedestrian safety on Avenue Rd and the coordinated efforts at council with other wards.  No ACTIONS for RARA – but we will support and inform as requested.

-          We did discuss the possibility of having a radar sign ‘know your speed’ trailer brought in to either Poplar Plains Cres or Poplar Plains Rd.  ACTION: Blake to confirm how we get our neighbourhood on the list for this moving sign.

-          Again we were not able to talk about enforcement and would ask for a detailed email from Toronto Police.  ACTION: Bert /Matt, please notify us on latest for speed enforcement.

 

Wrong Way / Street Signage:

-          It was noted that a number of signs had been fixed and added – thank you Dan / Troy & Team

-          We are still looking for some better one-way signage off on McMaster, Cottingham & Macpherson. AS well as improvements at the Macpherson / Rathnelly intersection. ACTION: Dan to report back with what has been requested and what is pending.

-          Macpherson Bump out plans are in queue.  Unfortunately the timeline will be 2 YEARS due to lack of budget.  We have asked for more detail on the plan, interim options and detailed timelines ACTION: Dan to report back with details.

-          Line Painting is expected in the Spring.  We will watch to ensure it is completed.  NO ACTION until late summer

-          We were aware that some enforcement had occurred at the Macpherson / Rathnelly, Macpherson / Poplar Plains Rd, Cottingham / Rathnelly intersections – ACTION: Bert / Dan to confirm latest on enforcement & to revisit the neighbourhood to do another Round.

-          We discuss the West side T junction where Cottingham meets Rathnelly and the possibility of improving visibility – ACTION: Dan to review whether a yellow line on curb by corner, or some movement of the signs is possible.

 

Island at Poplar Plains Rd & Macpherson:

-          The residents on Poplar Plains Rd remain concerned about the illegal turning at this intersection.  We have formally requested the island be extended and that options be sought to reduce near misses and accidents. ACTION: Dan & Blake to return to the group with an update on next Steps & Timeline. ACTION: Dan / Bert – please prioritize this for enforcement as reports from neighbours of near misses continue.

 

Parking:

-          The hot topic of the meeting was parking.  More enforcement, over enforcement, lack of enforcement! It seems that we as a community have some work to do to get clarity to ensure we are sending the right message to Parking enforcement on our concerns and priorities, as well as educating our neighbours on the bilaws, history / context and enforcement options.  Generally there is also some confusion caused by the lack of consistency and new changes. ACTION: RARA will prioritize this issue for broader coverage. 

-          Poplar Plains Cres (Block closest to Polpar Plains Rd) – residents would like to do away with two sided street parking due to safety concerns and congestion.  Residents are also seeing a pattern of ‘gaming’ the 3 hour parking limit for those working in the neighbourhood.  ACTION: Dan to Confirm the next steps on limiting Parking to just the North Side.  ACTION: Andrea / Cynthia to revert with details on enforcement.

-          Poplar Plains Cres (Block closest to Avenue Rd) – residents are split.  There is a 3 hour parking limit, which by nature of the enforcement team’s shifts is very hard to enforce, as they must come and chalk and then return 3 hours later to ticket.  There are some neighbours who are contacting parking enforcement regularly to request enforcement – which results in ticketing.  There are other neighbours who feel targeted and who are paying excess tickets for their friends, trades and own cars.  There is also a report of a towing, which we confirmed could only have been due to unpaid parking tickets.  The situation requires a more focused conversation and specifically the residents on the south side of the street would like to be better represented.  ACTION: Kendra to work with Cynthia & Andrea on a deeper investigation and resolution of the parking tension on this block.  ACTION: Kendra will report back to RARA on progress and include Grace in key activities. 

-          Rathnelly – some view that enforcement may be working and that the 1-hour parking limit trial was starting to positively improve parking for residents without other options.  Others raised a desire for more enforcement and still others felt that the 1-hour trial was not having an impact. ACTION: Andrea / Cynthia to send details on the enforcement stats for Rathnelly 1-hour parking.  ACTION: Judie Thom to work with RARA on the community meeting and timeline for gather broader consensus in the fall on the success or lack there off of the parking trial.

-          Concerns continue to be raised regarding the Trades parking illegally by the unfinished construction on the South East corner of McMaster & Rathnelly.  ACTION: Andrea / Cynthia to confirm enforcement plan for this issue.

-          We continue to work with the Green P corporation to try to modify the hours for day time parking.  We will also continue our outreach to businesses on Macpherson to encourage them to work with us on reducing the impact of employee parking on pour residents.  ACTION: Kendra to report back to group with progress.

 

We will follow up directly with Action owners on the items above.  Please keep Kendra informed of changes & Progress.  This topic will be covered in the May 16th AGM, we will want the latest information by that time.  We will work with Josh’s office top book a follow-up meeting for early fall to revisit open items together as a group.