To: All Poplar Plains Crescent Residents
Subject: Dangerous Vehicular Traffic and Parking
- Vehicular traffic and parking trends on Poplar Plains Crescent are making our street unsafe and dangerous to our health. There seems to be no let down. Here are the contributing factors that you should be aware of:
- Rush Hour Traffic – we see frustrated drivers cut off Avenue Rd looking for a faster way – often they are whipping off Avenue Rd at high speeds as Poplar Plains Road has become the proxy for Avenue Rd when it’s congested.
- Trade vehicles and other parking violators making road hard to navigate and reducing visibility & increasing congestion. The 3 hour parking limit on city streets is not being enforced. Rathnelly is now piloting a 1 hour parking limit to reduce the number of out of the neighbourhood parkers.
- Lack of side walk – especially from Rathnelly to Poplar Plains Rd – making walking and crossing already dangerous. One girl was recently run over by a vehicle sending her to hospital for extensive x-rays.
- Poor Signage – new drivers to the area are at risk of not knowing our streets are one way or what the speed limit is.
- Little enforcement by police has resulted in many violations such as speeding, not stopping, side walk driving, wrong way driving, and high speed reverse driving.
What is RARA Going to Do?
RARA is working towards a productive multiparty solution with the City, Province & Toronto Police Services to help on the immediate enforcement and a plan to change the vehicular and parking patterns to improve our neighbourhood. To be comprehensive and convincing with City officials RARA is seeking input from all residents.
What is Requested of You?
We need to sign this petition and provide any comments and suggestions for improvements. This information will be sent to RARA to support its work with the City.
Please print, sign the petition, and deliver it to your street rep (or send directly to Josh Matlow's office).